On December 22nd of last year, I took a pen and jotted down a list of ideas in my journal.
These were product ideas I wanted to create in 2019.
One of them was a tripwire.
The idea was a high quality, “curated collection” of conversion case studies.
If you don’t know what a tripwire is, it’s an inexpensive product that builds long-term trust by letting customers sample what you have to offer with low financial risk.
We sold $6,559 from one of our tripwires in 2018. So I figured why not make more?
I started with the Proven Sales Conversion Pack idea.
(You might have seen me mention it because it was launched as a limited pre-order in January. We sold out in the 1 week.)
However, as my team and I vetted and analyzed case studies—I realized there was no way this could be a tripwire.
I would have to launch it as a full product for the tremendous value it offered (not to mention the 150+ hours of time and effort to create it).
After all, 313 case studies that meet the following criteria aren’t that common:
- Statistically credible (NOT: “Oh hey we made the button green and we think leads went up! Whoo! Time to tell the world!…”)
- Easy to copy for more sales, or to convert more leads or email subscribers.
- Easy to learn from. From 100’s of thousands of words, I condensed down all 313 case studies covering a variety of niches (health & fitness, digital marketing, ecommerce, info products, SaaS, membership sites, B2C and B2B professional services, travel, entertainment, and more…) to a simple to understand analysis of “why it works” and “how to copy” each success pattern for your business.
Why am I telling you this?
Before the last 4 weeks, I thought I knew a “solid” amount about digital persuasion and how to sell products and services online. Afterall, I started my first online business 12 years ago as a college sophomore.
Like so many areas of life, there was SO MUCH more to learn…
I feel that creating this product gave me some sort of a “gift” like X-Ray vision—or “Conversion Sunglasses”—to better see the web through.
By that I mean I now know of so many proven patterns to convert more sales, leads, and email subs.
By the time I reached the 20th case study in our curated list, I was picking up on patterns that the consultants and agencies who conducted the case studies failed to see themselves!
But here’s the thing: I had the advantage of reading 100s of these studies. So I could make connections they weren’t able to.
It’s those connections, those “wow” patterns and mind-blowing insights I want to share with you today.
Here are my top five.
Receive a copy of the article to read later
Conversion Insight #1 of 5 – Like a Boulder at The Edge of a Cliff, There Are High “Money-Points of Leverage” On Your Website. Tweaking These Areas/ Elements Will Immediately Grow Your Leads and Sales. Here’s What They Are…
As I began my journey to find and analyze each of the 313 high quality case studies over the last month (with the help of my team), success patterns began to emerge…
As a kid, I was always (weirdly) good at recognizing patterns and organizing ideas and observations.
I remember when I was about 6 my Mom put out this mixed dish of red and green M&M’s for Christmas.
Without anyone asking me, I separated and organized them by color to make festive pattern for the holiday.
Order + Design.
Anyway, as I made my way down the list of case studies, I noticed how it was almost always the same website areas that unlocked the biggest gains.
For example, the text on any Call-to-Action (CTA) button was frequently a “money-point of leverage”.
In other words…
Imagine you want to break through a wall that’s holding you back from getting where you want to go. You’ve got two options:
- The fist of a little kid who thinks he’s really strong if he makes a muscle, and is really enthusiastic about it…
- Or a train traveling at 120 MPH.
Making changes to your CTA button is like using a speeding train to break through that wall to get to the “money” (leads, sales, email subs) on the other side).
Whereas with the kid, he’s a funny little guy with a “mean” karate chop—but it’ll be a while before he breaks down that wall.
So that’s what a “money-point of leverage” is.
Here are 3 case studies I found that reflect this truth:
- Changing the Generic CTA _____ Leads to 36.3% Additional Sign-ups
- Change in CTA Button’s ________ Results in 35.81% Increase in Sales
- Changing the CTA and ________ _____ Results In 73% More Leads
But that’s just one point of leverage available to you when you’re optimizing your website for more sales.
Here’s the full list of areas I’ve identified based on the data (so far).
You should focus on these areas or elements in your funnel for immediate and maximum impact:
- CTA Buttons
- Image choice
- The text / area immediately above or below your CTA buttons
- Pricing presentation
- Navigation area
- Headlines / value proposition
- Limits on opportunity
- Design layout / arrangement
- Forms / form fields
- Checkout page
- Size of value proposition or benefit elements / text size
Conversion Insight #2 of 5 – Your Sales Funnel is Only as Good as Your Ability to See Your Website “Thru the Eyes of Your Customers”. Here’s How to Do It…
By the time I reached #25 in the curated collection of 313 case studies we’d grown, another pattern came into focus…
If you want to grow your conversion rate rapidly, and with minimal effort, take this insight to heart:
It’s not what you know that matters, it’s what you know and have forgotten to act on.
Why do I say that?
About 4 years ago, when AutoGrow was an agency, I took on a fairly demanding client.
He gave me 60 days to “prove my metal” and get some results for his membership website.
In that time, I grew his sales conversion rates 603%, netting over $10,000 revenue the first week after the new funnel went live.
The client wants to stay anonymous, but here is what I can share about the business:
- Business size: Small business, virtual team, 3 employees
- Type of business: B2C / “pro-sumer” / membership site
- Market Niche: Hobbyist, Photography
- Traffic: Over 100,000 monthly site visitors
To achieve these results I did something simple which I’ve neglected (“forgotten”) to do since with AutoGrow’s products funnel…
- I surveyed the client’s audience with a simple, 3 question form (~40 minutes of work)
- I got on the phone with 15 people who filled the survey and were open to talking (~90 minutes of work)
- While on the phone, I asked questions to understand who they were and made a “super light” (not pushy at all) sales pitch for the membership product. I recorded the calls and took notes (~60 minutes of work to analyze the call notes).
Conducting this kind of research to understand potential customers took about 3 hours of total work.
Of the insights I got that went into the client’s revamped sales funnel, 50% came from reading the survey responses.
The other 50% came from talking to people on the phone.
- I was able to identify Problem #1 – From the surveys, I learned that a large segment of the audience didn’t even know that the site had a membership offer. And if they didn’t know, of course they would never buy!
(Sidenote: you wouldn’t believe how common this is. More on this later…)
- And then Problem #2 – From the phone calls, I learned about the identity, demographics, and personal stories of the people we wanted to sell to.
The website copy and design didn’t reflect these at all. For instance, one woman expressed a deeply personal memory of her father teaching her how to shoot photos as a little girl. On her birthday he gave her a vintage camera to support her growing interest.
Listening to people not only let me identify the above problems, it allowed me to empathize with the target customer.
This is what inspired the site improvements—and, in turn, the 600% sales conversion rate increase.
With the case studies in the Proven Sales Conversion Pack, I saw the same kind of research being done, over, and over, and over again by the agencies and consultants who published them.
It’s actually very easy to do—but so many entrepreneurs and marketers don’t do it!
Instead, we read about it, and move on to the next shiny object. We hunt for that “ultimate secret” endlessly. I’m guilty of doing this too at times.
In short, the key insight here is this:
- To sell bigger and better to every potential customer or client, you must better understand them.
- Surveys, heatmap tools, user testing, and yes, even 5-10 minute phone calls let you empathize with them. You get to see and feel your buying process thru your customers’ eyes.
When you get this level of insight, it’s like obtaining a compass that points straight at the “buried treasure” on your website.
Conversion Insight #3 of 5 – Small Conversion Tweaks Unlock Big Sales Revenue. But BIG changes? Well, That’s Another Story…
I had collected and analyzed 100 of the 313 conversion case studies goal at this point.
I read through each in detail.
About 60% of the case studies we found didn’t make the cut for one reason or another (see the criteria I listed in the intro to this article).
As I filtered thru these, I began to notice another “big” pattern that ran through all the case studies…
I was already categorizing them in a number of ways (so customers can find the right tactic or tweak to grow their sales).
One of the categories was the size of the change.
Some case studies only involved a small tweak. A simple change, like adjusting a headline, or replacing one image with another kind of image…
On the other hand, the other half of the case studies involved big changes. It wasn’t one element being tweaked, but several—or in some cases a major redesign.
Here’s what I noticed that I want you to know:
It didn’t matter if the change was big or small.
There was ZERO relationship between how hard the optimization was to do, and the conversion increase.
This is amazing when you think about it because I know a lot of us think that more effort = more results.
But that’s not what the data says!
Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying a low-quality website design is going to help you (it won’t).
But allow me to prove the point further…
There is one example from the Pack titled,
- (A) “Personalized Banner Offer Generates 18% Increase In Sales”
And here’s another example titled,
- (B) “Form Background Color Impacts Form Conversions: 91.7% Uplift.”
For case study A, I rated this as “Hard” (2 hours or more of work) based on the details of the study, and based on my background as a web developer and former agency owner.
For case study B, I rated this as “Super Easy” (5-15 minutes of work) based on knowing that it would only take a few minutes to copy.
Yet, you can see how the “easy” change had a much larger relative impact that the more difficult-to-implement change—almost 5X higher.
Here’s one more example of the power of this from my personal experience here at AutoGrow.
When I first started vetting case studies, one of the first proven patterns I observed was the need to reassure customers who are about to buy. Note: I also teach you this on video as part of my top 20 tactics that are quick to copy within the Proven Sales Conversion Pack.
A case study inspired me with a simple idea that got big results.
So, I decided to try it. I had a few minutes to spare.
I opened up our checkout app (SamCart), went to the page for our swipe file tripwire, one of our popular products in terms of sales volume.
I made a tweak to the page that emphasized security and our guarantee.
It took me 5 minutes to implement the change.
That 5-minute design tweak will drive 50% more sales this year (99% statistical significance).
This is our least expensive product, and partly for that reason the conversion rate was already pretty good before the change.
Now? Sales are 50% higher (and I even let the test run longer than needed to be sure).
Here’s what the checkout page looked before the tweak…
If our traffic is exactly mirrored last year’s traffic, we’ll make an extra $3,290 per year. But of course that’s conservative since we are growing on all fronts.
For reference if you’re not familiar with AutoGrow:
- Business size: Startup (sort of, we were an agency from 2010-2018), 1 full-time employee (me!) + virtual team
- Type of business: B2B, online training / info products
- Market Niche: Startups & Digital Marketers
That’s not all though because…
Naturally, the next thing I went ahead and did was to implement the same tweak to all of our other checkout pages.
So far (testing on these takes longer since sales volume is lower due to higher price-points), conversion rates for ALL other products are showing a positive increase between 10-40%.
All that from < 15 minutes of total work and knowing what to focus on, thanks to the Proven Sales Conversion Pack, launching Wednesday, Feb. 27th @ 9am EST ( Click here to Join the Waitlist).
Note: If you don’t “make sales” on your site and instead your focus is client leads, then you may find another, similar example of how I grew our lead gen rate by 481% more relevant. Click here and find this sub-headline text: “The first example is for anyone selling professional services”.
Conversion Insight #4 of 5 – The “Laws of Sales Funnel Physics” WORK—But I Discovered Something New.
About 6 months ago, I hosted a webinar titled “The 7 Laws of Sales Funnel Physics”.
I received extremely positive feedback on the content of it. Every single person who replied to our post webinar survey reported they were “likely” or “very likely” to recommend it.
I’m showing you that the content I presented back then was legit. I’m doing this so you’ll be more likely to take to heart the next insight I’m about to share with you…
You see, when I reached case study #255 in creating “The Pack”, I realized two things.
The theory behind those original 7 Laws of Sales Funnel Physics is no longer a theory.
It is rock solid, now with hundreds of credible examples to support.
As I had started to make more connections and see more patterns, I had confirmation of something else that was equally powerful:
There were more Laws at work than the ones I originally theorized.
And now, based on the verified data, I’ve added in the remaining 4.
I’ve tried to uncover others, but there appears to be nothing else that falls outside of these 11 laws as to what causes: Traffic, Leads, and Sales within your (or anyone’s) marketing funnel.
Or, as Andrew Prickett, an SEO consultant who commented on the early-access draft of this article, paraphrasing another well-known marketer:
“It’s not about building a new and ‘better mousetrap’- Andrea Chaperon.”
The 11 Laws cover everything, and that’s now based on 313 of case studies analyzed reviewed and for the The Pack and my 12+ years experience as an entrepreneur and digital marketer.
Here are the 11 Laws of Sales Funnel Physics that I discovered thru the data.
(Note that I can’t teach the Laws and how to use them in a few lines of text. But, for the moment, this gives a simplified view of the principles at work for what I’m about to tell you next…)
- Law of Visibility – If it isn’t seen, it won’t sell.
- Law of Confidence – Customers want what they see as popular or trustworthy.
- Law of Repetition – Say it again, and again (but don’t be uncool in the way you do it).
- Law of Clarity – Be clear (not clever) in your copywriting to convey understanding.
- Law of Friction – Difficulty, unnecessary “mental load”, or distraction that holds customers back.
- Law of Alignment – To match potential customer preferences (both conscious and unconscious)
- Law of Loss – People act more often based on potential losses than potential gains.
- Law of Maximization – People want to maximize their benefits, if risk of losses are mitigated.
- Law of Emotion – We buy for reasons unrelated to value like a desire for status, kindness, or guilt.
- Law of Scale – To grow bigger (i.e. more website traffic), you must leverage that which already has distribution. This law will probably earn its own product in the future since traffic is very different from conversion…
- Law of Range – Presenting the same offer different ways, or different pricing packages, or more total offers means more sales.
There you have it, the 11 Laws of Sales Funnel Physics in a nutshell.
Again the point I want to get across to you is this:
- Growth is not “voodoo”. It’s not something that requires “ancient knowledge” or some secret trick. Instead…
- Growing your leads, sales, and profits is much easier when you see how the Laws explain the why behind each and every success story from the Proven Sales Conversion Pack…
Conversion Insight #5 of 5 – How to Instantly Grow Your Sales Right Now: Make it easy, make it seen, make it clear.
I had reached the finished line.
I completed writing my condensed analysis (why it works / how to copy it) for all 313 case studies in the vetted collection.
Naturally, I popped on some music and did a victory dance with my wife in the kitchen
Now I want to give you my final insight for creating this product and the in-depth research it required…
Continuing off the last section about the Laws of Sales Funnel Physics, here are the 3 laws that popped-up as the Most Common reasons why sales increased.
(If you need a refresher on what these Laws mean, scroll up to the previous section)
- Law of Friction – In 39% of case studies analyzed, decreasing website friction was a key factor in growth. This is often achieved by increasing “customer empathy” as shown in Insight #2 above.
- Law of Visibility – In 31% of case studies analyzed, increasing visibility for a key element (e.g. a CTA button) was a key factor for growth. You can relate this to Insight #3 above, how there’s lack of relationship between effort (difficulty to implement) and the size of conversion results.
- Law of Clarity – For 27% of case studies analyzed, increasing clarity was a key conversion factor because customers need to know what they’re buying and why it is valuable.
As for the other Laws of Sales Funnel Physics, they were observed less often probably because they are more difficult to practice.
Like the “Law of Range” for example —
Range was cited the least of all the laws for the “why it worked” factors in the case studies because it means you need to come up with brand new pricing, or new products and services to sell. Not easy!
The good news here is that it’s easy to start seeing results right now on your site.
To take advantage of this insight you need to do the following:
- Delete distracting content. Create a more intuitive, focused layout for your sales funnel.
- Make sure the important stuff gets seen. Increase visibility for your primary CTA button for instance. It sounds “obvious” but so many people neglect to do it precisely because it is “obvious” and easy.
- Make sure people “get it.” Remove any confusion by making clear statements about what you’re offering and what to do next.
Of course, these powerful insights are a starting point.
You’re going to need a proven resource you can copy, like a compass that points you to buried treasure…
It’s been a mini-journey to make this product.
I am in awe of the mountain of insights I’ve learned from going through the process despite being an experienced entrepreneur and digital marketer…
- Like a boulder’s potential on the edge of a cliff, there are many “money-points of leverage” on your website. Tweaking these will immediately grow your leads and sales.
- Your sales funnel is only as good as your ability to deeply understand your customers.
- Small conversion tweaks can unlock big sales revenue. But the data also shows there is NO relationship between how difficult the change is, and the growth results you get. For instance, 15 minute tweaks can convert for you more leads and revenue than complicated, 40+ hours of redesign work.
- The “Laws of Sales Funnel Physics” give you a framework for understanding “why” something converts.
- Grow your sales now by doing a few critical things to lubricate your sales funnel: make it easy for customers to flow through your funnel, make sure the offer is seen, and make it clearly understood.
That being said…
I am super excited to give you access to the resource that’s responsible for the results and insights I’ve gained so far—the Proven Sales Conversion Pack!
I feel like I’ll be handing over “bars of gold” because of the impact it will have for your bottom-line.
I realized as I was making the Pack that Startups, Consultants, and Small Businesses have the most to gain from learning and copying conversion patterns in the Pack.
Because unlike larger companies that have the traffic, time, budgets, and manpower to run AB tests that help give us these insights—most entrepreneurs don’t have that kind of traffic, money, or time to risk.
Due to time and resource limits, we need to know, directly:
– What should the button say?
– Where should I place it?
– What should my headline say?
– What else should I add or delete?
And that’s why I created the Proven Sales Conversion Pack.
To teach these lessons and these patterns so that you can copy them without spend thousands of dollars hiring an agency or getting up the learning (and traffic curve) to be to AB test on your own.
If you found the insights I shared with you in this article valuable, then you will love the Sales Conversion Pack.
It’s like $300,000,000 (literally) in lead gen / sales growth packed into a:
- Simple, Searchable and Visual Format so you can find relevant insights for your business right away. It’s also…
- Easy to learn from and draw inspiration from… And it’s…
- Easy to copy with supporting videos, where I walk you through the top 20 proven tactics and related case studies.
With the Pack, there is no need to guess any more about how to grow your sales.
Just copy what the data tells us, because it’s already proven to work.
It’s that simple.
The launch is happening Feb 27th (This Wednesday) at 9am EST.
There will be 25 copies available.
I’m putting a limit because:
- It ensures that only action-takers (the people most likely to be successful) will buy, and
- I honestly don’t want a ton of people buying it yet. It’s too valuable. If everyone copies these proven success patterns, they won’t work as well.
- Plus I’ll probably raise the price when we re-launch it 4-6 weeks later since I keep improving the product and adding new benefits.
When we did a pre-order for this product (before it even existed) we sold out in 1 week back in January.
To get pushed to the front of the line and ensure you get your spot, click the button below.
Opt-in to ensure you get access before we sell out again.
And of course, I hope you loved this article as much as I enjoyed writing it for you!
Keep hustlin’, stay focused,
PS – A special thanks to the members of our “Early Access Group” who helped make this article great via their feedback: Andrew Prickett (SEO Consultant), Jumaah Goldberg (MindYourDamnFitness – Fitness & Weight Loss), Peter Nyiri (FunnelXpert – Digital Marketing), and Mariana Lessmann (BeBreader – Gluten-Free Tips).
Want to see your name and brand here? Request entry to our early-access group by clicking here. Get access to articles before anyone else, get featured in the article, get links, ask questions, influence future articles, and learn our process—all in exchange for your feedback.